Three Movies I'd Take On A Deserted Island

Three Movies I'd Take On A Deserted Island 

Once Upon A Time In America (1984), Directed by Sergio Leone 


This is a coming of age movie disguised as a gangster flick. It'd be perfect for a desert island, because every time I watch this movie I get caught by the emotions that the characters go through as they grow up, whether it's happiness as they fool around as children, the sadness at the death of a friend or the melancholy feelings of meeting again after a long hiatus.

What if a boy became a gangster? 

New York from the 1920s through to the 1960s.  Noodles is the main guy and he becomes friends with Max - a bad egg.  

A silent Voice (2016), Directed by Naoko Yamada 


There seems to be a similar sort of theme here, this is also a coming of age movie, although one with significantly less gangsters. This movie shows the developing relationship with two people who were initialy at conflict, but end up putting aside their differences. Again, this movie is one that I can always watch and be taken along with the characters and through all their feelings, trying to fit in; loneliness and finaly acceptance. Not to mention, it has the best anime opening song of all time, My Generation by The Who, which wouldn't mind rewinding for so I can listen to over and over again on my lonely island. 

What if the bully and the bullied became friends? 

Modern day Japan. Shoya Ishida bullies Shoko Nishimiya, they laterr become friends. 

The Iron Giant (1999), Directed by Brad Bird 


This one is here because of my childhood, I used to love this one, still do. It's legitimately the only movie I can still watch that'll make me cry. Enough said. 

What if a boy made friends with a giant robot? 

The US, during the cold war. Hogarth is a young boy who befriends the iron giant. 

Funky Situations 

This section is about swapping the situations and characters between the movies. Let's start off by taking Ishida from A Silent Voice and placing him in Hogarth's (The Iron Giant) shoes. Ishida starts off as a bit of an antagonist, so when he sees a giant robot being electrocuted, rather than helping the robot like Hogarth did, he'd probably be scared and run away, or even sit and watch the robot suffer, then there would be no story and Ishida would go on no character arc. That's kind of boring. The more I think about it the more I think of how much worse these movies would be if the characters were switched. If Hogarth was in A Silent Voice, he's a nice guy so naturally, he wouldn't bully the deaf girl and there would be no movie. This is a bit of a cop out, I'm sorry. 

We'll get 'em next time. 

Comments