Movies This Week #4

Week 4

(Apologies for posting these "weekly" movie reviews so inconsistently. ) 

This is an important week, it marks the first week of my movie night, good times, this week we did Dead-Alive. Good times.

Avengers: Endgame - 13 May 2019

It was a good conclusion to a series of movies I've been watching for a decade. It feels like a worthwhile ending, even though it's not really an ending and they're going to keep making these movies for the rest of my life, I'm probably not going to bother watching any more though. 

Tickled - 13 May 2019 

Everyone's favourite NZ documentary about competitive tickling. 

Singing in the Rain -  14 May 2019

This one is a classic, I used to love it when I was a kid, and it still has that same wholesome upbeat feeling.


Ghost Shark 2 - 14 May 2019

This movie sucks, but I guess that's the point. 10/10. 

Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too) - 15 May 2019

A fantastic Mexican movie from the same director as Roma, this is a great little story about two guys going on a road trip. It's a great watch with lots of emotion and a bittersweet ending. 


Shoplifters - 15 May 2019 

A great Japanese movie about a dysfunctional family. This one is extremely wholesome, come to think of it, it's quite similar to Y Tu Mama Tambien in that it's got that same dysfunctional, yet loving vibe among the characters, but it ends in a slightly sad, yet realistic way. 


Dry Martina - 17 May 2019 

This one wasn't very good. There was a lot of drama but I just wasn't invested. 

Await Further Instructions - 18 May 2019 

This movie was silly. Silly characters, silly premise, silly script. Every single story beat happens the same way, characters are arguing > something bad happens > characters work together for a little bit > They start arguing again and repeat. It was like this to the point where every single time anything interesting happened it was comical, almost like a punchline. It also had the most over the top ending of all time. Needless to say, I had a good time.

 Amores Perros - 19 May 2019

Another great Mexican movie. This one follows three different stories, a guy who's into dog fighting, a famous girl who gets injured, and a hit man. All of these stories work together perfectly and go together to make a great movie. 


Hausu - 19 May 2019 

This is one of my favourite movies of all time. I love showing it to my friends to gauge their reactions. It's basically Japanese Monster House, but with the Up soundtrack. Every single time I watch it still hits me as hard as the first time I saw it. The editing is borderline schizophrenic, and there's so much going on that makes so little sense. It's so good. 


Freddy Got Fingered - 19 May 2019

This movie is whack.

Dead-Alive/ Braindead - 20 May 2019

This is the first movie I watched for my movie night. It's also one that I mentioned on my 10 movies list back when we started the class. Pretty much everything I said for Hausu applies here too, I've seen it so many times but it always feels fresh. Also, the reactions I get from the people I show it to are priceless. 


Sharkboy & Lavagirl - 20 May 2019 

One of the silliest kids movies you'll ever see, it was defiantly a good time. The amount of times Sharkboy says "my highly trained ears" is incredible. 

Comments