More Movies

End of Evangelion 

Image result for end of evangelion angels
A movie based on the show. Basically, the last two episodes of the show were pretty abstract, and all the silly people watching it wanted a "real ending". So this is an alternate ending to the show, even though it's not really necessary. It's still a brilliant movie though, there's so much awful and angsty stuff in there, most of it I don't understand and I don't think I'm really meant to. The creator was just angry that he had to keep making this series that he ended, so he just filled it with so much awful stuff almost spitefully. This film is a great character study to the guy who made it and his mindset at the time. It's so interesting seeing what he'll put in his film just because he can. Maybe this movie is too smart for me, or maybe he was just taking the piss, but either way, it's pretty brilliant. 

16 Candles 

Image result for 16 candles lie to me
One of my favorites. John Hughes is a master of his craft. He's made so many great films. He's in the same strand as Sergio Leone to me in that he took a genre that's pretty lame and fixed it. The high school genre has always been pretty tiresome, but John Hughes somehow managed to make so many great movies in the genre. This is by no means the best, but it's so charming there's some real nice stuff in there. 


Van Helsing 

Image result for van helsing mirror
This movie is so cheesy and so silly. But if you know me, you know that means I had a blast. Some of the things that happen are so dumb, especially that one part where they jump the huge gap in a horse drawn carriage. Good times. 

Kung Fu Husstle

Image result for kung fu hustle fat guy
Another one of my favorites and this weeks pick for Monday movies. It's great. A fantastic Kung Fu Parody. I watched it so many times as a kid on a bad TV recording. So I never noticed how violent it is watching it now, I guess they censored it for TV. I mean, it's not really at all violent compared to what else I've showed on Mondays, but I always remembered it as a kids movie. 

Spy Kids & Machete 

Image result for spy kids machete

The reason these two are listed together is because of Danny Trejo, because Robert Rodrigiez is a genius, Danny plays the same character in both of these movies. It was wild watching Machette a hyperviolent grindhouse homage play before Spy Kids. Seeing Machette ripping peoples head off and then being the wholesome Uncle character in Spy Kids is so silly. Awesome. 

Comments